Why Would You Want a Linen Pillowcase Anyway?
Pillowcase materials matter. You spend a lot of time on your pillow, and it’s worth covering it with a fabric that feels good on your face. If you’re thinking about switching to a linen pillowcase, you probably already know that linen is a natural fibre made from the sustainable, fast-growing flax plant.
Does it make a good pillow cover, though? The Cover Collective is an Aussie small business passionate about natural, no-nonsense bedding - here’s why we love French linen for our pillows:
Linen Pillow Covers Have Health Benefits
On average, you spend about a third of your life sleeping or trying to get to sleep. A lot happens during that time! Your body keeps working while you’re asleep, so why not create a tranquil bedroom environment to make its job easier? Here’s how sleeping on linen benefits your physical health.
- Linen is naturally hypoallergenic. The eco-friendly flax plant naturally deters insects and other pests, a quality that remains in the fibres when you turn flax into linen. The fabric doesn’t collect lint and stops dust mites from moving in. Resting your head on linen at night means you can kiss dust allergies and sinus problems goodbye.
- Linen is good for your skin. Linen contains no nasty chemicals that often cause allergic reactions and rashes on sensitive faces. It’s a natural textile trusted for centuries before the dawn of synthetic fabrics. Linen is also the most absorbent fabric out there for pillow covers - it can absorb up to 20 times its weight in moisture without feeling wet. These pillowcases keep your face sweat-free on summer nights, helping prevent breakouts.
- Linen helps you sleep better. Having a bad night’s sleep makes you more than grumpy in the morning. It can affect your concentration, metabolism, and emotional function too. Linen is a breathable fabric that helps regulate your body temperature while you sleep, keeping you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. You won’t be tossing and turning, flipping your pillow every five minutes to cool your face with linen pillowcases.
Linen Looks Good for Longer
A French linen pillowcase is the ultimate expression of timeless, low-key luxury that lasts. Linen ages really well, so you can take your time building your collection. We try to keep it classic, and a crisp white linen pillowcase in the bedroom will never go out of style. Here’s what makes this fabric so lovely for long-term comfort.
- It gets softer with every wash. This aspect is one of the biggest advantages of buying pure linen bedding. You can wash it over and over again, and it only makes it softer and more beautiful, making it perfect for constant use and ideal for the kids too. Traditional linen is a very coarse fabric that can last over 20 years, but we stonewash our linen beforehand to make sure your pillowcases feel irresistibly soft from night one.
- The colour doesn’t fade over time. Linen has a natural colour that looks elegant on its own, with slight pattern variations depending on its growth and processing. It can also be bleached for that classic, crisp white linen European pillowcase style or dyed with muted colours like sage or blush. The fabric structure helps it absorb dye super easily, and the colours won’t fade with washing and wear.
- Linen is durable and strong. Linen is an ancient fabric with many uses, including bandages, canvas boards, armour, and even currency! Plus, it’s really easy to care for it. From linen king pillowcases to cot pillows for bub, this fabric is a family favourite regarding long-lasting quality you can keep for years. The fibres are strong and resistant to tearing and thinning, letting you really live in your linen without it losing its charm.
About The Cover Collective
The Cover Collective started when our founder, Nikki, discovered the raw, unfiltered beauty of natural French linen. We are a passionate group of linen enthusiasts, and we love sharing the simple joy this fabric adds to our own lives. Since we started, we’ve expanded our collection to include standard and European linen pillowcases in a range of subtle colours that can go with everything.
Get in touch with us to learn more about our luxury linen range.